What to Say to a Parent of a Child With Autism
Adults who do not have children with autism may not always know “the right thing to say” to those who do. Here are some thoughtful ways to connect. Ask/say:
- Is there anything I can do to help you out?
- I’m here for you if you want to talk.
- I don’t know what you’re going through, but I’m always willing to listen.
- Can I come with you to appointments for support?
- Whenever you need some time for yourself, I’d like to help out.
- Can I offer to babysit so you and your spouse can go out to dinner?
…or offer any compliment that you would give to any typically-developing child.